Monday, December 14, 2009

Little Eyes Upon You

While reading with Caden
(Kindergarten Homework)


We came upon this poem.

Little Eyes Upon You
by Edgar Guest

There are little eyes upon you
And they're watching night and day.
There are little ears that quickly
Take in every word you say.
There are little hands all eager
To do anything you do,
And a little boy who's dreaming
Of the day he'll be like you.

You're the little fellow's idol,
You're the wisest of the wise.
In his little mind about you
No suspicions ever rise.
He believes in you devoutly,
Holds that all you say and do
He will say and do, in your way,
When he's grown up just like you.


Typing it just now
it gave me shivers.

I feel the need to memorize it
and repeat it
and repeat it
and repeat it
to myself



so that I never forget
Never Never Forget
that they are watching,
they are learning,
they are taking in,
they are growing up


and the person they are watching
is me
and the person that they are imitating
is me

and the person that they turn to for comfort and safety
is me
and the person responsible for teaching them right from wrong
and love and kindness and patience
is me.


I need to
give more hugs
whisper more "I love you" secrets in little ears
tickle more tummies
use a quieter voice
be a better example of hard work
show them how to be grateful.


Help them to know that they are loved
by me
and their Daddy
and their Heavenly Father.

There are little eyes upon me.

It was good to be reminded.
So good to be inspired.

Now to get to work.

3 comments:

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Great post!! Thanks for the reminder! We all need it. Have a great night.

Megan said...

It certainly is a tall order, isn't it? What a cute poem.

Perry Biggerstaff said...

Good Morning Andi

Just wanted to correct you on your use of the poem by Edgar Guest.

That poem was written in 1994 by myself for my son who was about 6 months old at the time. I have the copyright to the poem and am willing to prove it if you would like.

I love to see the poem used and actually became a little teary eyed with your reaction to it. There does seem to be a universal spirit to the poem that touches the hearts of people...and I am humbled in that knowledge. Thank you for sharing it with others. If you have any question please feel free to contact me at perrybiggerstaff@yahoo.com

Perry Biggerstaff